Monday, May 2, 2011

Tri-Moms: Baby Weight Loss




Lest you came expecting no-fail weight loss tips, I warn you now that they aren't here. My philosophy for eating and living in the postpartum period is similar to my philosophy on many things.  I tend to go the natural route.  I let my babies nurse and eat and wean at their own pace.  I potty train when my children show signs of readiness.  I don't push learning to read at any magic age.  And I let the baby weight come off when my body is ready. (That is what I do.  I didn't say that I don't stress about it anyway.)

I believe that God gave us food to eat and to enjoy.  I believe that most foods in moderation should be enjoyed without guilt.  The key, of course, is moderation.  I do not avoid butter or salt or all carbs or even chocolate cake because I know that an overall healthy lifestyle is what is important, not the exact number of calories I consume.  

Instead of focusing on the scale (which I got rid of), I focus on healthy habits.  I drink lots of water.  I aim for 1 large glass at each meal and at least 2 more throughout the day.  I allow myself one soda on the weekend.  (Moderation.)  During the day I (try to) snack on fruit or nuts or a granola bar.  I enjoy dinner, limiting seconds as a general, but not strict, rule. I focus on eating a fruit or vegetable or both at every meal. In the evenings, I look forward to my special snack.  (I buy M&Ms in bulk.  No joke.)   I eat when I am hungry.  That is important while nursing because losing weight is not worth it at the expense of compromising my milk supply.

Why is it that chubby baby cheeks are so much cuter than chubby Mama cheeks?
If I find I have abandoned my healthy habits, I go back to them one at a time.   One week I might focus on guzzling the water again.  (If you don't already drink a lot of water, try upping your intake to get a quick weight-loss boost as your body loses fluid build-up.)  The next week, I may work on cutting back on excess snacking.  The next week, I tackle another area until I'm back to where I want to be health-wise.

After Gavin was born, I did not lose weight quickly.  I had heard that breastfeeding made weight loss easier, but it didn't work for me that first time.  By the time I was pregnant with Maddie, I was still holding on to at least fifteen extra pounds, but after she was born (and I was nursing both a toddler and a baby), the weight melted off with no effort whatsoever.  Each subsequent postpartum time was a little different.  After Alaine was born, I had the normal weight loss immediately following the birth, but then I lost nothing for months!  Not until she reached six months or so (and was still exclusively breastfeeding) did I begin to lose again.  If I know that I am eating well, I content myself with my current size because a healthy lifestyle is better than a skinny body. 

So what do you do about postpartum baby weight?  Go see what the other Tri-Moms, Suzanne and Kathi have to say this week and link up your own postpartum weight loss ideas with Kathi who is the hostess for this week's linky! 





Up next: Tri-Moms talk Coping With (Hubby) Working Long Days
May 17
Linky Hostess: me!
 

Coming Soon:
June 7: Beginning Homeschooling
June 21: Routine
July 5:  Bulk Shopping


1 comment:

  1. Oh! So...easy, peasy, lemon-squeezy...I get it! NOT!

    You snack on M&Ms every night...and are still Skinny Momma!

    Good thing I love ya, or I might be jealous :)

    How's the new place?
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...