Saturday, January 19, 2013

another January Saturday


Last Saturday was leisurely and celebratory, but today started with getting everyone up early.  The kids prepared their regular Saturday breakfast while I rushed around getting the little ones ready to leave the house, plus get myself ready, the table wiped off, and the bed made. 

Today, Brian and I ran our first race.  I had been aiming for a 5K (3.1 miles) in April, but when I read about a 2 mile race in January, I decided to register.  On Monday morning, Brian and I ran 2 miles in preparation and planned to try it at least once more, but on Monday afternoon, the rain rolled in and it did not stop (at all) for days.  It finished with a big bang on Thursday night, dropping an inch or two of icy, wet snow before the sun returned for Friday!  All the soggy weather meant that I went into today's race a little rusty and not certain I was up for it. 




As it turns out, the iPod I've been using to track my distance and speed has been steering me way wrong.  Apparently, I've been running a lot farther than it records because today when I crossed the 2 mile finish line, it only registered 1.5 miles!  Guess I was getting some unexpected training and wondering why it was so hard to get any faster.

Not being an experienced runner, I don't have a time to aim for, but today I finished the first mile with a time of 9:44 and finished the race with a time just under 21 minutes. {Edited to add: The official results were announced on Sunday and my final time was 20:55.}

After the race, the rest of the Saturday was lazy-- Mario on Wii, a belated Christmas movie, folding laundry, homemade stromboli  and sliced fruit for dinner, and baths. 

Maybe, maybe, we can sleep in tomorrow. 





3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to both of you. You are my inspiration. Don't know if I will make it to running but I really want to do a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You've motivated me to try running. Right now I'm still sticking with 30 Day Shred because I can do it at home and don't have to work around Tim's schedule.

    I'm still considering running, but I'll wait until we move to an area that's a little safe for me to run alone. It should be soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After years and years loving the thought of exercise, but hating the follow-through, I actually like it now! Running wouldn't be for everyone, but I love how much progress I've seen. When I started the first day of Couch to 5K, I could barely run a minute without getting winded. Yesterday I tried running Day 1 again because Maddie wanted to run with me. This time, I barely broke a sweat! (Jillian Michaels kills me, though!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...