Thursday, January 14, 2010

There All the Time




You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?

Psalm 139: 2-3, 7





I stood close to Gavin’s chair in the cramped exam room. His lip quivered while fighting tears. The weekend’s toothache and fever had necessitated our Monday morning trip to the dentist. His jaw resembling a hoarding squirrel’s, he had tried to joke before they called us back for our turn. “Mama, I don’t know why you are bringing me here since my tooth is all better.”

But the preceding sleepless night had assured me it was far from better so I kept the conversation light as we passed the nervous minutes.

Gavin’s breathing quickened as a hygienist entered the room and placed a lead blanket over my boy’s heaving chest. “Ma’am, can you step out while I take an x-ray?” Heart tugging, I weaved my way around medical equipment and took my place directly outside the open door. I heard a whimper as I left his side...

Click here to continue my story at Mel's World.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...