Thursday, December 13, 2012

How Do You...Manage Your Inbox?



How do you... manage your e-mail and keep your inbox from becoming cluttered?

Today's question has nothing to do with Christmas except that if you are like me, a cluttered workspace breeds a cluttered mind which breeds distraction.  I, for one, do not need distraction in the days before Christmas. 

As a general rule, I don't save more than four or five e-mails in my inbox at a time.  When I check my e-mail, I immediately delete the junk.  This includes ads that I've signed up for, like Old Navy or Children's Place, but don't have time to peruse.  (I do not unsubscribe altogether because these stores offer special coupons and discounts to e-mail subscribers so I like access when needed.)

Next I focus on my personal e-mails from friends.  I try to respond to messages with 24 hours and then either delete or file. 

Filing is my key to avoiding inbox clutter. 
I have file folders labeled things like Online Shopping, Writing Assignments, Travel, Brian's Business, etc.  After I read an e-mail that is too important to delete, I add it to one of these folders.  Safely tucked away for future reference, it frees up space in the inbox and in my mind!  Periodically (maybe once a month), I weed the folders, too. 

How do you manage your e-mail box?  Let us know in the comments.

I'm taking a mini-vacation from my "How Do You...?"  feature until after Christmas.  I'm running a little dry on inspiration so if you have a question for a future "How Do You...?" post, share that in the comments, too, or send me an e-mail!  I'd love to hear from you. 






2 comments:

  1. A cluttered inbox? ~sheepish grin~

    Neither of my daughters would stand for such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm looking for. Tips on how to organize. I'm glad I come across your blog and find the important tips for a more organize life this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...