Monday, August 25, 2014

Writing Prompts (a printable for the new school year)


http://bitsandpiecesfrommylife.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/writing-prompts-check-off-sheet.pdf


With three weeks behind us in this new school year, I'm discovering what works for us and what needs some tweaking. I'm all about making the days run smoothly while conserving our time and energy. 

I've found that it helps to knock out spelling, grammar, and writing in a single activity.  We save time with this method. Plus, the way I look at it, it is more effective than learning the subjects separately.  (When do you ever encounter a spelling list in your adult life?)

I created a set of  Check-off Writing Prompts for my three oldest children (ages 11, 10, and 8). Each child keeps their checklists in a folder with a bunch of loose-leaf notebook paper.  When it's time to write, they choose any question off of the list, write down their answer, and then check off the question to be sure they don't repeat it another week.  

When they finish, they turn their paper into me to make notes on spelling, punctuation, and grammar.  The next day we work through it together to make corrections.  Sometimes I ask them to copy it over and make a final draft, sometimes not.

Does this sound like something that would benefit your kids or that they would enjoy?   
Download your own set of Check-off Writing Prompts by clicking here.

*****


This is our second year of using writing prompts in our homeschool. To access the writing prompts I created last year, click here.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...