Friday, June 22, 2012

#1


It is no secret that I am not a fan of the beach.  More specifically, I am not a fan of sand or sweat or sunscreen or any combination of the three. My kids are bothered by this.  Maddie asked me  whether I liked going to the beach when I was a little girl and I had to tell her that, no, I didn't like it then either.  

"Mama," she said.  "Can you tell me at least one thing you like about the beach?" 

I had to think hard, but I finally said, "I like that you like it." 

And so, it was for that reason,  that we set off on Summer Beach Day #1 (of 2) one morning this week.  We took the ferry to get there which added to the adventure. 



We met up with my mom and sisters.  We know to get there early before the parking lot fills and cars have to park along the street.   We slather on sunscreen first thing to get it over with.  I managed to do it with a smile! 



Maddie collected shells and a small tan crab to bring home to show her daddy. 


Then she joined the older kids in the water where they stayed... until they came out to get a snack...and then ran back in the water until we called them to go home. 



Benjamin camped out in the sand, though he did play along the edge of the water from time to time. 


Alaine was not so sure she liked the beach.  I think maybe she's going to follow in her mama's footsteps because she squealed when her toes first touched the sand.   She did tiptoe down to the water and stomp back up with a not-so-happy face. 


The she settled into a beach chair where she contentedly shoveled sand for the rest of the morning.


We were especially glad for our early morning, front row parking spaces when it was time to leave and we had to lug our sandy bodies, sandy kids, and sandy beach buckets back to the vehicles. 

And this is me, looking sufficiently beach-weary, and very, very glad to be home.


I'll be sure to document Beach Day #2 later in the summer, proof that I love my kids! 

4 comments:

  1. We did it! And then enjoyed a lazy afternoon...in the AC! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'm not a fan of all the work involved to take my troop to the beach or the sand that has to be cleaned up afterward, but I do love the beach! Do you like the smell of the ocean? Nolan and I walked down the beach the other night, and smelled someone's sunscreen and he was like "ugh! smells like sunscreen." I was like "Oh yeah! Smells like sunscreen! And the beach! And Summer! I love it!" Funny how we're all different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you Kristin. I am not a fan of the beach but Andrew does. I have proved this week that i love him also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of the beach mess that comes home with you. But I loved getting to go to the beach when I was a kid visiting my grandparents. I've heard baby powder works well for helping get the sand off. We'll be studying about the seashore for school this year. Too bad we don't live close enough to really explore it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...