Monday, January 18, 2016

What I'm Listening To, Reading, and Watching


What I'm Reading...
I went through a major reading slump when I had morning sickness during the summer.  I lost my motivation, plus moving my eyes to read exacerbated my nausea.   Even after I felt better, my reading habits changed and I started reading less, but I am taking advantage of the early postpartum period to sneak in a few extra minutes. 

I'm about three-fourths of my way through  The Brontë Plotby Katherine Reay, a fun, light (but not fluffy) novel with many literary quotes and references. Before Macie was born, I read the birth part of Gentle Birth, Gentle Motheringby Sarah Buckley. Now I need to read the parenting part.  If you can get past a some woo-woo parts in the early chapters, this book is full of great information. When both of those are done, hopefully I'll have time to read the highly-recommended Being Mortal by Atul Gawande before I have to return it to the library.





What I'm Watching...
I mentioned on my Facebook page that I'm watching the final season of Downton Abbey.  When the first episode came on, I was largely pregnant.  When the second episode aired, I was less than five hours postpartum and watched from my hosptial bed.  I watched episode three with my new baby and struggled to keep my eyes open at the end.  

Right before Macie was born, I borrowed More Business of Being Born from the library.  I only watched the first disc (of four) before she arrived so I'm watching the remainder now.  I also have Spirit of the Marathon II waiting in the wings for a lazy afternoon.




What I'm Listening To...
Don't hate me, but I have a baby who likes to sleep.  I do not feel like the stereotypical, sleep-deprived new parent!  I try to nurse her late in the evening before we go to bed, sometime between 10:30 and 11:30.  She wakes once in the night to eat again, and that's it until morning. In fact, I've had to wake her  two mornings.  I've found that those quiet moments in the wee hours of the night are the perfect time to listen to podcasts.  I only put in one earbud so I can hear any stirrings in the house.

I've listened to multiple episodes of Birth, Baby, and Life Podcast.  I've also listened to 2-3 episodes of The Popcast, but I'm not loving it.

What have you read, listened to, or watched in this new year? 
Do you like it, love it, or wish you'd skipped it?
What should be on my radar?

6 comments:

  1. Even though our podcast might not be a good fit, we love many others you might like a lot:
    Death, Sex, and Money (Joy Williams episode)
    Arc Stories (Creeper Cop episode)
    Invisibilia (How to Become Batman episode)
    OffCamera (Matt Damon or Bill Lawrence episode)
    The Moment with Brian Koppelman (Jon Acuff episode)

    Happy listening! The Popcast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, I might just be picky. I say I don't love it and then this afternoon I find myself listening to another episode while I'm soothing a fussy baby!

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I love the business of being born! All of them!! I love the birth story one especially! Some of the people are so kooky and make me laugh but I love to hear/read birth stories of any kind. Those movies are so interesting and informative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! My husband was watching that disc with me and we had to laugh a what some of the celebrity moms had to say!

      Delete
    2. Yes "fulfilling my procreative imperative" is a line that cracks me up every time! :) but it's cool to see the real side of those famous people. If you like birth stuff, "baby catcher" is a great book. Right now I'm reading "the best yes" by Lisa turkherst.

      Delete
    3. I love the Baby Catcher book! I read it when I was pregnant with my son 7 years ago and then I think I read it again 2 years after that.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...