Thursday, October 20, 2016

Acknowledging the Hard


This post is difficult to write, not because I'm nervous about how it will be received, but in the sense that my words may be construed to mean something else entirely.  I believe what I'm about to say is true, but it is not an excuse to wallow in pity or make excuses for ourselves.

We need to acknowledge the hard. 

I've admitted that life with a baby is hard, but this year has been hard in other ways, too. Buying a vehicle made finances a little tighter.  We started high school and had a bumpy start with our chosen curriculum.  In fact, we're still smoothing the bumps.  We've had to do extensive training, talking, and praying with two of the kids who have relationship issues with each other.  Another child has struggled with attitude over schoolwork. Brian has worked long hours.

I hesitate to share, even with my real-life friends. It's not necessarily pride or wanting people to see me as having it all together, but it is knowing there are people going through things far worse than what I'm going through.  And is it disloyal to my kids to say that their activities, growth, exuberance-- their very existence--  make some days difficult?   I choose this life, didn't I?

I believe it is important to acknowledge that what we are experiencing is hard.  We don't need to brush it off and paint a rosy picture for ourselves.  We need to understand that yes, this is hard.  The path I'm walking every day is not easy mentally or emotionally or physically.  Even if I've chosen it, or even if I believe it is precisely where God has placed me, it is hard

At the same time, I want to remember that hard is not the same as bad.  

"And not only that, but we also rejoice in our afflictions, because we know that affliction produces endurance, endurance produces proven character, and proven character produces hope." Romans 5:3-4 HCSB

One of my friends wrote recently about her strugges with singleness.  My mom wrote last year about the difficulties of walking the path of poor health with my dad 

God has given each of us hard things.  He says in His Word, "My grace is sufficient for you. for power is perfected in weakness."

Let's each of acknowledge our hard and then let His grace wash over us.






6 comments:

  1. So true!!!! Acknowledging the hard things is a way to say we are dependent on Jesus. My hard things (singleness) may be different than yours with kids but both drive us to Jesus. In fact, I was talking to Eden about this very thing tomorrow. That we are placed in circumstances and what matters is how we turn to God. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I agree! But at the same time I feel as if I share the hard than I am complaining? There must be a balance? But I'm not sure what that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your last line says it all! Life can be hard, even if it's not as hard as someone else's life. Our families, home educating, husbands who work long hours can sap our energy and our joy.

    I'm reminded of Paul's words "fixing our eyes on Jesus" - that whole passage is summed up in your final sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Well said. Christ never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to go with us. Hang in there momma! You're are doing exactly what God has called you to do. 1 Peter 5:7 says, "Cast all your cares upon Him, for cares for you."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh! Thanks for this. "Hard is not the same as bad." Man, that's truth to remember. I'll be sharing this post with some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh... Yes!! Thank you for being brave enough to say it. Sometimes I feel so guilty having those feelings like I had a desire for a big family..but there are some major struggles right now that make it hard to enjoy family time. I'm at my whits end with my daughters defiance. I've tried different tactics and a host of discipline techniques and I'm just plan wore out and exhausted by the afternoon everyday.I just really need God to intervene! ♡

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...