Thursday, March 19, 2009

For Benjamin...

The sleeping-basket whose sides once offered you security now are too confining. You stretch out and whimper awake. I remember just a few short weeks ago kissing your moist cheeks before tucking the blanket around you and lying down in my own bed, watching you as I surrendered to my own sleep. Now as I pack the basket away, I realize...this season of your life has passed.

The heel of your blue socks sits on the arch of your foot, threatening to slide off when you kick. I remember packing for my journey to the hospital when I knew you were soon to be born. I brought along the tiniest pair of baby socks I could find and yet they were still too big! I place the now-too-small booties in the box with the other keepsakes and realize...this season of your life has passed.

I put you on the floor to change your diaper and you grin as you roll onto your tummy. I remember a time when I would lay you down and you reflexively wrapped into a familiar curl, arms and legs pulled in against your middle. At a sudden noise, you would startle. Now, as I roll you back to me, I realize...this season of your life has passed.

But this is not a time of mourning. Just as winter is now yielding to spring, the passing of your seasons has allowed for the ushering in of new ones.

~This is a season of discovering-- the grass, your tongue, strangers...
~This is a season of being nourished exclusively at my breast...
~This is a season of bouncing on my hip as I cook and serve...
~This is a season of laughing at your brothers as they do the silly tricks only boys can do...
~This is a season of toppling block towers...
~This is a season of napping and waking in my arms as I teach the others...
~This is a season of grabbing the crinkly pages of Daddy's Bible while he reads...
~This is a season of sticking close to home.

"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven."


Mama

2 comments:

  1. So sweet! It makes me nostalgic for the time when BB was that small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being able to kinda go through these seasons with you...and let you write about them as well as you do! I do enjoy your words.

    many blessigns!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...