Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Shepherding My Young


Benjamin snuggled close, his nose burrowing into my shoulder.  I brushed my lips against the fly-away strands of his hair and hugged him a bit tighter before lowering him to a spot at my feet.  Sniffles ensued as he protested the release from the comfort of my arms.  Feeling the pressure of the dinner hour, I picked him up again, singing to him with half of my mind while the other half measured water for the soup.  As my tune faded away, Benjamin grew restless and again I tried tempting him with a pot and a few blocks on the floor.  Growing annoyed I voiced my opinion to the walls, "Why can't I put him down?  I need to get this food cooking!" 

Listen.  A still small voice began to speak to my spirit.  When you need ME, do I disregard your cry? 


Chastened, I tossed the vegetables into the pot, turned the burner to low, and squatted down to my needy boy.  I beckoned to him and he came.  Without hesitation, he came.  Forgiveness was immediate, and as his legs molded to the curve of my hip, we peered into the soup pot together.  With drooly fingers caressing my cheek, I arranged the bread on the tray and placed it on the table, thanking my Lord for another lesson in the kitchen

Unfortunately, this scene has replayed itself again and again as Benjamin has grown large enough to cause aching arms.  We are never away from home without our pouch, but I unconciously phased it out in the house when he became mobile.  My little man, at 1 year, still prefers the kangaroo carry (facing out with legs tucked into the sling), but the pouch is pulling tighter around his chunky legs every day!   And while content on my hip alone, he is never secure in the hip carry in the pouch so...the search for a ring sling was on!

And find one I did.  Rebecca, owner, designer,  and seamstress of Li'l Peeper Keepers      (http://www.lilpeeperkeepers.com/), has such a vision for the heart of babywearing:  
The security of a child held close is a reminder to me of the most precious facet of my life-- the eternal security that I have in my salvation through Jesus Christ. When I came as a sinner for salvation, trusting Jesus alone, I received the promise that "him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."  John 6:37b

Do I wear Benjamin because it is "hip" (no pun intended!) or because in doing so I can minister to his tender heart?  Do I carry Benjamin in the sling because it is fashionable or because I can keep him close and in this small way, shower him with love? 

The autumn breezes have pulled me, an outspokenly indoor girl, out this year.  I am gaining a new appreciation for His creation as I amble along with my children and watch the sparkle in their eyes as they search for insects and pick mushrooms and wildflowers.  Nestled close to my heart in our new sling, Benjamin reaches out his curious fingers to feel the trees.  I can't help but imagine a kinship between the colors of the changing foliage and the lovely coppery shimmer of the sling fabric (100% Dupioni silk).


Alas, as the pleasure walk ends, my thoughts turn to the list of items to be purchased at the store.  Benjamin needs a nap but duty calls.  My lips open to spew out complaint when I am reminded to praise him in all things...so I tighten my sleepy boy in the sling, grasp the others' hands and begin our walk through the aisles of the store.  Heavy baby eyes succumb to sleep. 

I pray that even as my little ones grow and outgrown the need to be continually held, I continue to remember to nurture them as my Heavenly Father nurtures me. 



Savior, like a shepherd lead us, much we need Thy tender care;
In Thy pleasant pastures feed us, for our use Thy folds prepare.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.

Kristin


**Disclaimer: I'm always a bit hesitant when reviewing new products.  I am afraid that either I will not like an item and have to write a tastefully negative review. Or I'm afraid that a positive review will come across as gushy or forced.  In the case of this ring sling, though, I can honestly say that it is the most comfortable sling I have ever worn!  And even though I've been babywearing for almost 7 years, I benefited from the included instructional DVD demonstating various holds. 






10 comments:

  1. Great job Kristin!! Your writing is just beautiful!!!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job poetically reviewing the sling!I love that fabric.
    And it so seasonal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a wrap but I've always wondered about a ring sling. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post about God tending to you & you tending to your son. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely and touching post, Kristin. Makes me long for my babywearing days (which are currently on hold with Boo as we await #3).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special reminder... thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post! I've been meaning to wear my baby (who just turned 1!) around the house more, and am hoping to invest in an Ergo Baby Carrier very soon, as I have very big babies and a not-so-good back & neck, which makes babywearing very hard on me, in every other sling I've tried.
    It's been a while since I tried a ring sling, I should pull mine out and give it another shot...!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how beautiful! Your words, the sling, and your photos!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful words! Love the post! Every bit of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for participating in our contest! You have a lovely blog and your post paints a beautiful picture of babywearing.

    Good luck in becoming a finalist!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...