Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Love Story (Two Hearts)

(Part 1: One Plus One)

Our college's fall semester began in September (1999) and we again took several classes together.  One of our classes was an art history class which included two all-day field trips to art museums.  They were the ultimate dates,  spending whole days together in  big cities (yet still accountable and surrounded by chaperones).  We also had two regularly-scheduled afternoon/evening shifts a week together at the library (they called us Romeo and Juliet) and spent every weekend together either at my house or with friends. We were inseparable.

Summer of 2000 was the turning point.  Brian left the library for a full-time job  that had crazy hours and I graduated with my associates degree and applied for a new job so our time together was compromised.  My mom was hospitalized with a serious heath problem and my brother was preparing to leave for school five hours away.  For a few weeks, life seemed uncertain and scary, but somewhere in those hazy weeks Brian asked my dad if he could marry me. 



One Friday night in November, Brian and I went ice skating and I just knew he was going to give me a ring that night.  I suspected he had one and I thought it would be the perfect evening.  He didn't agree.  In an effort to beat my curfew, I drove home a little too fast. By the time I got home, I was late, disappointed and holding my first (and only!) speeding ticket.

On November 18, 2000, we went out to dinner with Brian's sister, Amy, and her husband, Lee.  After the meal, we drove to the beach and walked onto the boardwalk, overlooking the water.  It was cold and windy and almost too dark to see the water, but Brian had plans.  He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a ring box.  He says I never said yes, but somehow the ring found its way to my finger. 


(Part 3: Countdown To Our Day)

1 comment:

  1. I'm very much enjoying reading your story...I can't wait for the next part!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...