Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Can you smell it now?


Autumn.  For me, it is the season to fire up an oven that lay cold over the preceding months.  It is a  time of one-dish suppers, the  kitchen warmed by the scents and the hearts within its walls.  Days growing shorter, autumn is a season to linger over conversation at table and grab another roll with butter while sharing moments from the day. 

And for me, it is the time for new recipes...

Cider Beef Stew
(adapted from recipe found here)
 
5 T butter
2 pounds beef, cut into cubes

1 large onion, chopped
4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 pound potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 pound turnips, peeled and chopped

6 tablespoons flour

3 cups apple cider
2 cups beef stock



Preheat oven to 425. 


Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Melt butter. Season the beef with salt and pepper and add to pot. Brown on all sides, about 7-8 minutes total.

Add onions, carrots, potatoes, and turnips, and cook for about 5 minutes. Add flour, stirring to combine and coat.

Add the apple cider and the beef broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to the oven for 50 minutes. 


Serve with Pumpkin Dinner Rolls.




Kristin

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog. Your recipes look yummy! I'm always looking for new things to try:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of adding cider to beef stew - we will definitely be trying this at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks wonderful. Pumpkin anything is one of my husbands favorite things! I'll so have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the recipes; I'll have to try both of them this Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious!! Yes, I can almost smell it. Thanks for commenting on my blog. Oh, and I totally LOVED the post below this one. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious...I have a recipe for a chicken sweet potato cider soup, sounds like it would also go well with the rolls...thanks for sharing, I love soup and bread season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats looks amazing Kristin!! Great job!! Have you joined Tasty Kitchen?? They would love you. Really... try it!!

    And I love your new profile picture... your and your family are so precious.

    Many blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm, looks delicious! Love your blog....thanks for visiting mine! I like meeting like-minded mamas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you think this stew could be made in a crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle, I don't see why not! It is very similar to other stews I've made in a crockpot except for the additon of cider. I wouldn't see the harm in slow cooking cider...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'll try it and let you know!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...