Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The American Revolution (by the books)


I spent some time over the past weeks sharing our very simple, very basic nature study structure.  I shared how we don't sow a lot of money or even a lot of time, but we reap big results.  We have a similar approach to history. Ninety-nine percent of our history books come from the library.  We don't use a curriculum.  We just read.  (If ever you are tempted to think that reading to your kids is not "real" or "official" school, think about how you learn.  If you study the book of Ruth or read instruction on how to make a wreath or look online for the symptoms of bronchitis, have you learned any less because you didn't learn it from a curriculum?) 

In the beginning, we used Truthquest American History for Young Studentsas our guide, but along the way I branched out on my own.  I chose the chronological topics I wanted the kids to study and I made a book list from the books available at our local library (or interlibrary loan system).  Essentially, we've read our way through history.

I am going to share my book lists in spurts throughout the next month or two.  These lists are not intended to be all-inclusive.  They are a jumping off point for your own walk through history. 

*****

The American Revolution


The Felicity seriesby Valerie Tripp:
Can't You Make Them Behave, King George? by Jean Fritz
And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?by Jean Fritz
Paul Revere's Ride: The Landlord's Tale by Henry Wadworth Longfellow and Charles Santore   
The Fourth of July Story by Alice Dagliesh
In 1776by Jean Marzollo
George Washingtonby Ingri and Edgar d'Aulaire
What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin?by Jean Fritz  
How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightningby Rosalyn Schanzer
Shh! We're Writing the Constitution
by Jean Fritz








4 comments:

  1. a great list.

    ...connor is especially fond of Fritz, my girls devoured AG when they were littler, and i love, love, love d'Aulaire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! We've been busy compiling our book list for our summer plant & garden nature study. I'm excited to use reading as a way to learn history as well.

    I'm looking forward to your lists (& I like knowing that I can get them at the library).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new photo of Maddie in your sidebar :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Allyson, a few of the books from my lists (this one and the ones to come) are not available from the library, but I either borrowed them from my mom or I own them. If there's ever one you want that you can't find, ask me!

    I took the photo of Maddie yesterday. I made her and Alaine matching shirts and we were trying to get a together shot, but Alaine DID NOT want her picture taken yesterday. The only one we got of them together, Alaine has a frown and is trying to pull away from Maddie. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...