Thursday, October 24, 2013

31 Days, 31 Printables {Day 24}: Coins and Counting Money



The best way to learn to count money is to...count real money!  Last year, I spent several weeks of math lessons counting coins with my 1st and 3rd graders.  Sometimes we counted stacks of coins to see how much each pile was worth.  Other times, I gave them random handfuls of money and asked them to pay me a certain amount.  Then I asked them how much change they would need and whether they could afford to buy something else.  

My kids also love the self-check-outs at the grocery store.  They take their time to figure out just how much money to insert and  love to watch the machine spit out their change.

Sometimes, though, kids need a little extra practice.  I created a few Coins and Counting Money Worksheets that encourage the use of real coins to find the answers.  To download your series of 3 worksheets, click on the thumbnail below. 







Don't miss a post!  Join my new Facebook community!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...