Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sugar, sugar everywhere and none that I can eat!

I am addicted to sweets. I draw the line at Circus Peanuts (those orange marshmallow nothings), but otherwise I'm not picky about desserts. However, since I've been pregnant, I've not been able to eat sugar. It isn't a medical requirement. It's just that when I ingest sugar, I feel really sick! Overall, morning sickness has been milder this go-round, but when I eat sugar, I'm done for. I thought maybe now that I'm in my 2nd Trimester I could maybe sneak a little sugar back into my diet, but no. Yesterday, I made chocolate cupcakes at the kids' request and I licked a bit (well, maybe more than a bit) off this spoon. Wrong move-- I felt yucky the whole rest of the day.
I have to be careful about simple carbs, too. Pasta is a big no-no unless it is whole-wheat. It is almost as bad as sugar. Same goes for white bread/rolls.

The kicker of it all is that I've been having trouble keeping my blood sugar steady. Mid-afternoon, I get really shaky and sweaty. I've tested on my dad's glucometer several times and my blood sugar registered in the 70s and 80s which is on the low end of normal. My midwife said to try eating every 2-3 hours to keep the level steady.

Now that I'm used to no sugar, I can taste sugar in things that I normally wouldn't consider sweet, like salsa and salad dressing. I guess it is really a blessing to not be able to eat sugar because it certainly is healthier to cut it out and to only eat complex carbs. I've noticed that I don't even really want sweets anymore. Maybe that's how it is for diabetics (although I can't say it is that way for the one I know--private joke).
Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Just think- this baby is helping you not eat sweets- right?!?! What a baby?! Maybe its a girl! In all seriousness, I do hope this passes quickly for you. Its such a bummer not to feel wonderful and not be able to eat a special treat every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, now that I'm used to it, it isn't too bad. I still find treats to eat. I just have to be more creative about it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...