Thursday, February 16, 2012

How Do You... Find Time To Blog?



How you keep on GOOD blogging? {submitted by Kathi} 

How do you find time to do all the important things and still blog? I've been staying up late to do the little I've done and I know there must be a better way. {submitted by Allyson}

This is a tough question for me to answer for several reasons.  
  1. It's hard to answer because I've gone through many phases of blogging-- phases where I have very little extra time and consider giving up blogging altogether... phases where I agonize over every little post and wonder if I should post more frequently or less frequently...and phases like the one I'm in now where I post often because I have ideas and I have a bit of free time.   I know firsthand the struggle to find where blogging fits into the job of mothering and caring for a household.  I also know that each of our situations is unique and that my schedule may not be your schedule, and my convictions, not your convictions. 
  2. It also hard to answer because I'm a night owl and I do sometimes stay up late blogging so if you are looking for a "better" way, you might not find it from me!   I'm not sure if it is because I naturally don't need hours and hours of sleep to function or because my body has adapted after many years of waking for nursing babies, but either way, I am able can go to bed at midnight and wake when the alarm rings at 6:45 with little problem.  I guess maybe I'm a morning person, too. 
My days are busy, busy, busy, and my nights are restful and restorative. I've set a computer standard for myself during the day.  I check my e-mail after breakfast and I check it again sometime in the afternoon, but all other fun online work occurs at night after the kids are in bed.  That means that I have all day to devote to the important things-- school, running errands, reading storybooks, playing peekaboo, preparing meals, washing dishes, cuddling, mending clothes, folding towels-- so that by the time I put the kids to bed at 8 or 9 o'clock, the house is in order. 

Of course, I occasionally fold a load of laundry "after-hours" and I always wait to start the dishwasher right before I go to bed, but as a general rule, my evenings are free of housework and open to leisure activities.  This could all change if we have another baby or extra activities are added to our daily schedule, but in this season right now, it's the way things work.

As far as my frequency of blogging, I used to struggle to post more than a couple of times a week.  I'm a slow writer and it took time to get my thoughts typed out.  In October, I took on the challenge of posting for 31 Days in a row on the same topic.  During the month, writing became a habit and ever since, my ideas and words have flowed more easily. 

It may sounds silly, or maybe not, but if you have concerns about your blogging habits or you have a passion to write yet can't seem to find the time or inspiration, PRAY ABOUT IT.  Ask for wisdom, ask for clarity, and ask for ideas.  He will meet you where you are. 

How do you find time to blog regularly?  Let us know in the comments! 
If you have a question for a future "How Do You...?" post, share that in the comments, too.        

5 comments:

  1. I have five kids, so I don't want them to see me camping out at the computer all the time.

    I keep a real paper journal with scribblings of blog post ideas.
    When I think I have an idea that is meaty enough write post about, I type it in Word 1st -- where I can do both grammar and spell-check. Later, I cut and paste into Blogger and take a little time there adjusting things. I always let a post sit overnight before I click "publish"!

    Great post! Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not have much authority to talk about this. I wish I blogged more....I wish I knitted more....I wish I did more prepping for homeschooling...I wish I sewed more....But I do endeavor, to live little by little more disciplined in every area...and one day I can say that yes, I do blog daily :) Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your insight. I sometimes forget that while you have some children the same ages as mine you also have some older ones to help. Not that having older children necessarily makes your life easier, I know as they grow you have had to add other things to your plate, but I think you would agree that it is definitely different than having a house full of babies, toddlers, and preschoolers (right?).

    I love your idea of set computer times. I've been trying to come up with some sort of schedule and computer to do list to keep me on task, now if I could just get some discipline :)

    I also think a great way to gauge if you are spending too much time blogging is to ask your husband. There have definitely been times when Tim has helped me see that my priorities were out of whack. Blogging is no fun and could be very harmful if he doesn't approve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another question:

    Do you meal plan? We stick to pretty much the same meals for breakfast and lunch every day and rotate through 8-10 dinner options. This helps keep grocery shopping and meal prep very simple. (Good thing my husband isn't picky!) I'd love to know your menu planning system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, Kristin, I'm also a night owl. I keep a little blog planner nearby that I got from here:
    www.betweenuandme.com

    I jot things down in it as they come up so I can peruse it later when I have more time. Sometimes I'll blog during lunch but mostly it's at night after the kids are in bed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...