Thursday, October 11, 2012

31 Days, 31 Smiles {Day 11}: How Do You...Find Time For Your Own Fun?


     


How do you find time for your own hobbies or fun? 

The idea of "me-time" or "mom-time" is  a touchy subject among women.  My thinking tends to fall somewhere in the middle.  God calls us to lay down our lives for each other.  That includes our children. I believe that means that even if I'm having a bad day or crave some quiet time, the needs of my children still come first. 

However, as long as needs are met, I also think it is okay to take a few moments away.  I'm okay with sending my children to play in the backyard (even when they are whining to come in) while I finish a project or tidy up inside.  I enjoy the occasional night out with my husband or meeting friends for dinnner. 

That being said, most of my hobbies are accomplished with my children around me!  I read in bits and pieces all throughout the day or for a few minutes before I go to sleep.  I sew while my kids are working at the table, during nap time, or while watching TV.  I blog in the evenings after the kids go to bed.  I bake with the kids by my side. 

At this season of life, I don't get hours of uninterrupted time, but I'm learning to grab at the minutes I do have and to be content with that. 

How do you keep make time for fun?  Let us know in the comments. 

Also, if you have a question for a future "How Do You...?" post, share that in the comments, too, or send me an e-mail! I'd love to hear from you. 



2 comments:

  1. I think it's not only okay to take a few minutes, it's necessary. It gives kids a little autonomy and independence, and also teaches them that mommy is not just an extension of them. It's good for all parties involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also grabbing the minutes as they're available. I have to remember that if I wait to get absolutely everything done, I'd be waiting until our home is an empty nest.

    Sometimes a little time for mom to rejuvenate is better than another load of laundry put away. Of course, sometimes all I need to feel more like me is for the laundry basket to be empty.

    Like the rest of motherhood finding time for myself is give and take and something that needs to be reevaluated based on the specific circumstances.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...