Monday, July 13, 2009

Children's Book Monday


Do you think the library ladies are weary of labeling and adding books to our section of the holdshelf? I hope not. Because as we scan the book carts for our last name, running our fingers down the spines until we find the ones set aside for us, and as my children peek under the rubberbanded labels to see what gems await, I am thankful for the book recommendations of friends.

Join
Elise at A Path Made Straight as she shares fabulous book picks at her weekly Children's Book Monday. (And maybe go back some other day of the week, too, to learn with her.)
And now, may we share with you...

The Mr. Putter and Tabby series
by Cynthia Rylant
 
illustrated by Arthur Howard

Cynthia Rylant's books are old friends of ours. My boys are special friends with her quirky Poppleton. And Henry and Mudge strike a cord with my animal-loving girl. But I'm most attracted to old Mr. Putter and his old cat Tabby and their gentle balance of adventure and calm.

Our family has been acquainted with Mr. Putter and Tabby for years, but this summer, we set out to read the entire series in order. (Each book stands well on its own, but this seemed the best way to re-acquaint ourselves with them!) We bring home the next one or two each time we come from the library. We laugh together as Mr. Putter and Tabby run races and pick pears and make soup. We relax together as they watch birds and eat muffins and nap. And when we finish one, we delight that each is short enough to read over and over...and that there is a whole series to devour!


When I read, I rarely take time to study the pictures, but in this case, I cannot imagine the story without the illustrations or the illustrations without the story. They blend together as one. Truly a marvelous partnership.


I don't know the recommended reading level and it really doesn't matter. I look forward to sharing in the next tale as much as my young ones. My two-year-old and my husband chuckle just the same.

A good story is not bound with age-restraints.
In fact, even if you have a tiny babe or your children are grown, venture into your library's children's section and treat yourself to a dose of Mr. Putter.
   Joyful reading!

Kristin

3 comments:

  1. Does our library have the entire series? We'll have to start with these next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her books, too. I enjoyed reading this review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...