Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What Are You Reading? September Edition

Last month, I was having a slow reading month, but I am back into books again! Here is the list of what I am currently reading.

The Bible-- I Corinthians
The Longing by Beverly Lewis-- third book in her The Courtship of Nellie Fisher series
All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor-- read-aloud with the older kids

Also of note: I enjoy reading books, fiction and non-fiction, about Amish life and culture. This month I reread A Midwife Story by Penny Armstrong, who was a midwife in Lancaster County and writes about delivering many Amish babies at home. Very interesting and a fairly easy read. I am also anxiously awaiting When the Soul Mends by Cindy Woodsmall, the final book in her Sisters of the Quilt series about an Amish family. (It came out last Tuesday, but I'm still awaiting my copy on order at Barnes and Noble.)



One last book to mention! All three of my kids have become huge fans of Poppleton in Fall by Cynthia Rylant. It is an adorable book so I don't mind reading it over and over like I've been asked to do. I love that all the kids enjoy it equally. Sometimes it is hard to find a book that is not too juvenile for Gavin but not too difficult for Owen. (Maddie will listen to anything!) This is Owen taking a minute to peruse it himself (probably on his way up the stairs to ask me to read it!). He quotes large sections of it now himself.

Now it is your turn! Please take a minute to tell me what you are reading this month!

2 comments:

  1. I really want to get back to reading the Bible. I need to just do it. Do you read The Message or a contemporary-text Bible, or just a regular King James version? I've found it's easier to read the contemporary ones, but I don't want anything to get lost in translation (I mean, the person doing the translating must have an opinion.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the NIV or occasionally the NKJV.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...