Monday, September 29, 2008

And to Finish It Up...

My friend Allyson was due the same week that I was. She had her baby last week! I am so impatient for my baby. Thankfully I have these birth stories to write to keep me occupied. After talking about Gavin's and Maddie's births last week, I'll finish up now with Owen. By the time I was pregnant with Owen, I ready for a change so his birth was a little different than the first two.

Owen Baxter ***; August 13, 2006

1. How long had you been married at the time of the birth? Five years.

2. What were your reactions when you found out that you were pregnant? Excitement, joy, trepidation, nervousness...

3. How old were you? He was born 5 days before my 26th birthday.

4. How did you find out that you were pregnant? a home pregnancy test

5. Who did you tell first? Brian. We planned to wait awhile before telling anyone else. However, we were at a family Christmas dinner at my grandparents' house. I turned down dessert and my brother said, "Are you pregnant?" After fumbling for an answer, I told everyone that yes, in fact, I was!

6. Did you find out the sex? No, I really wanted it to be a surprise. I was so glad we didn't find out. We already had a boy and a girl so we had clothes, blankets, etc. in appropriate colors so that wasn't an issue at all.

My brother, ever the instigator during this pregnancy :-), insisted he could tell by my sonogram video that we were having a boy. He was right, but I was the first to see that he was a boy after he was born.

7. Due date? August 29, 2006-- my mom's birthday!

8. Did you deliver early or late? A surprise to all, he came 16 days early!

9. Did you have morning sickness? Yes, terribly! I didn't have it the whole pregnancy like I did with Gavin, but it was more intense. I was horribly sick until about 14-16 weeks. Some days I didn't know how I was going to make it through. Thankfully, I was sick during Brian's two months off from work during the winter so he was home to hold down the fort!

10. What did you crave? Ice cream, again. Also, pizza, spaghetti, any Italian food really.

11. Who irritated you most? I can't say that anyone really irritated me, but anything bumping against my belly was intolerable! By the end of my pregnancy, Gavin developed this habit of playing with/pinching the skin on my upper arms while we were reading and that was a little bothersome, too. :-)

12. What was this child's sex? He was a boy.

13. How many pounds did you gain throughout your first pregnancy? This is the last time I have to answer this! I don't remember exactly. I think it was 32-33 pounds.

14. Did you have any complications during your pregnancy? Nope.

15. Where did you give birth? With this pregnancy, I did some research and found a midwife in our area. Well, she was (is) an hour away so not our immediate area, but a comfortable distance away. She practices in a birth center at the hospital in the same town.

16. How many hours were you in labor? I actually had some strong contractions on the morning of the 12th, but they slowed and we ended up going to the beach for a family bonfire/swim. I went home, put the kids to bed, took a shower, and layed on the bed watching 48 Hours Mystery. I eventually went to sleep, but woke up around 1:30 with for-sure contractions. I got up and walked around the house alone before waking Brian around 3 (and calling my mom to come stay with the kids). We got to the hospital and were admitted around 7. Owen was born a little after 10 so the labor was about 9 hours total.

17. Who drove you to the hospital? Brian drove although this time we had a 60 minute drive as opposed to a 10 minute one.

18. Who watched? Brian was there of course and also the nurse and the midwife.

19. Was it vaginal or c-section? vaginal

20. Did you take medicine to ease the pain? This time I also planned a drug-free birth. When I got to the birth center at the hospital, they did not give me a routine IV and they did not strap me to fetal monitors permanently (though they did use them at the very beginning to check on Baby). I was able to walk and move around, eat and drink, wear my own clothes... I felt so much more comfortable and in control of the pain and I was able to labor and give birth with no pain medication!

21. How much did your baby weigh? Since Owen came a little over two weeks early, he was not as big as the other kids. This time I only pushed for 10 minutes and he weighed in at 7 pounds, 12 ounces. We just happened to go to the pediatrician on his due date, though, and he was up to 9 pounds, 2 ounces. :-)

22. What did you name your baby? Owen (a name we liked) Baxter (my dad's middle name)

23. How old is your baby today? He turned 2 in August.

Well, that concludes the birth stories I have for now. I'm hoping to have another one to share really soon! If you have anything to share to help me pass these long days, please do so. I'd love to hear your birth story or a bit of advice!

1 comment:

  1. This one made me cry! lol Don't know why. Maybe i am pregnant? :)

    Coutin down the days for you!!!

    God bless-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...