Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fall Recipes

Fall foods are my favorite! As much as I like the salads and grilled food of summer, nothing beats the warm smells coming from the oven in October and November! These are some of the foods I especially love to make and eat!


Chili
 

1 pound ground beef or ground sausage 
1 medium onion, chopped
2 t. garlic
28-oz. can diced tomatoes
2 15-oz. cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 16-oz. can tomato sauce
4-6 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. pepper
 

Cook meat, onion, and garlic in large pot until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat. Stir in tomatoes, kidneys, tomato sauce, chili powder, basil, and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour...or all day. Makes 10 cups.

***

Harvest Bread

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
3/4 cup chocolate chips
-- the best part!! 
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
 

Cream butter and sugar and add eggs. Beat well.Blend in pumpkin puree. Sift dry ingredients and add.Stir in chocolate chips by hand. Pour into 9x5 pan and bake at 350 for 60-70 minutes.



***

Sweet Potato Biscuits


Combine 2 cups (or 23 oz can) mashed sweet potatoes and 1 stick of melted butter.Add 4 t. baking powder, 1 t. salt, 3/4 c. sugar, and 3 c. flour. (I often use half white flour, half whole wheat. I actually like the taste better.) Mix to combine.  Roll out dough and cut out. (I use a small juice glass.)  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. (Yields approximately 20 biscuits.) 
The kids and Brian LOVE these. In fact, we eat them year round. Neither of us likes to eat sweet potatoes plain, but this is an easy way to get their nutritional value!


5 comments:

  1. The harvest bread sounds fabulous! Hmmm... gonna have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, yummy! I'll definitely be making this once the weather cools down here. We're still having upper 80s/low 90s right now :( BTW, is this chili hot or mild?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chili is pretty mild in my opinion, though I do like hot stuff so it could be that my taste buds are dulled. :-) You can control the hotness of it with the amount of chili powder you use, though, since the recipe allows for quite a range.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree about food this time of year. I was so excited to make chili a week or so ago. And I love pumpkin breads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I baked the harvest bread the same day this post came out (I have lots of canned pumpkin waiting for a recipe). Very yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...