Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Animal Crackers and Cocoa to Drink


Animal Crackers
by Christopher Morley

Animal crackers and cocoa to drink,
That is the finest of suppers, I think;
When I'm grown up and can have what I please
I think I shall always insist upon these.


What do you choose when you're offered a treat?
When Mother says, "What would you like best to eat?"
Is it waffles and syrup, or cinnamon toast?
It's cocoa and animals that I love the most!


The kitchen's the coziest place that I know:
The kettle is singing, the stove is aglow,
And there in the twilight, how jolly to see
The cocoa and animals waiting for me.


2 comments:

  1. A kiddie version of "comfort food" perhaps?

    I love this poem. It was in a book of children's poetry that I had as a little girl. And I love hearing Owen recite it. And I love seeing my grandchildren enjoying animal cracker and cocoa! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...