Tuesday, April 2, 2013

An Everyday Cake



Last week, I said that weekday cakes don't happen at our house, but I can make an exception for this one.  It is easy because there is no frosting involved. I can get it into the oven within 20 minutes and be done with it. 

About a month before I was married in the summer of 2001, my friends threw me a bridal shower.  Each guest was asked to bring a recipe card with one of their favorite recipes.  The mother of my maid of honor shared this chocolate oatmeal cake with me and, almost twelve years later, it is still one of my favorites. 

Chocolate Oatmeal Cake 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1¾ cups boiling water
1 cup oats

Mix oats and water in a bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. 

Add:
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 stick of butter

Stir until butter melts.  

Add: 
2 eggs
1¾ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 cup chocolate chips

Mix together and put in greased 13x9 pan (or 10-cup bundt pan).  Sprinkle with additional 1 cup of chocolate chips.  Bake for 35 minutes (40 minutes for bundt pan). 





3 comments:

  1. Mmmm.. we make something very similar at our house alot. I take a no bake cookie recipe and chill it into a brownie/cake. Mmmmmm... We change it up from peanuts to sunbutter for allergies.. and with all oats we can avoid flour. Thanks for a great party idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...