Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Nutcracker


Many have written interpretations of Tchaikovsky's ballet, The Nutcracker. I've found most of them to be tedious and wordy for young children. Last year, Gavin and Maddie were fascinated by a video of Mikhail Baryshnikov dancing in this classic ballet. I tried reading them a written version of the story, but they were bored before I finished. This fall while perusing the library shelves for books to take home, I came across this gem:

The Nutcracker

I was excited when it was finally the right season to check it out! Written and illustrated by Susan Jeffers, this book is perfect for the younger age group. Though a simpler version, it is not condescending! And what beautiful artwork! Maddie, especially, was captivated.

I was blessed to have the opportunity to take Maddie this year to a live ballet performance of The Nutcracker and was amazed how much of the story she remembered and pointed out to me!

(We also like Robert Frost's Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening with illustrations by Susan Jeffers.)

1 comment:

  1. I love your recommendations... I have you not only under my faovrites, but under Homeschooling favorties just in case! lol

    Have a blessed week!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...