Monday, October 17, 2011

31 Days {Day 17}: Worry


I know I'm not supposed to worry.  I know this is only a season and that tomorrow will have it's own cares.  I know I should enjoy today...but sometimes there is too much on my plate. 

I need to give Owen a reading lesson, clean the bathroom, and pay the electric bill.  Oh no!  I can't pay the bill until I go to the bank to deposit Brian's paycheck, but I wasn't planning to go into town today.  I do need to pick up library books, but the library is in the opposite direction.  Maybe I can go to the bank when Benjamin wakes up from his nap, but no, I need to put dinner in the oven by four to make sure it is done by dinner time. 

What about tomorrow?  How am I going to get it all done? I feel as though I hold the weight of the world on my shoulders.


Brian is my calming presence.  He gently eases my weight. While I fret, plan, and stew, he says, "It'll all work out."  

I argue, "But how will it work out if I don't plan for it?" 

Then I add, "And how will I manage to run any errands next week when I have so many obligations at home?" and, "How will we afford the electric bill and the mortgage when your income goes down in the winter?" 

This time he answers, "We'll take care of next week and next month when they come." 

When I was pregnant with Benjamin three years ago, I remember thinking, "I'm only now catching my breath with three.  How will I possibly manage four?!  How will I maintain my schedule when even more is added to it?" 

This time my Lord spoke to me through His Word.



Why worry about what is out of my control?   Even if it is in my control, why fret about it now when it has yet to arrive? 

I love the story told by Corrie ten Boom:


"Tell me," said Father, "When you take a train trip to Amsterdam, when do I give you the money for the ticket? Three weeks before?" 

"No, Daddy, you give me the money for the ticket just before we get on the train."

"That is right," my father said, "and so it is with God's strength.  Our Father in Heaven knows when you will need the strength ... He will supply all you need just in time."




Let's face it.  Sometimes even today is too much to think about, but can I trust Him to get me through this next hour?  Can I trust Him to provide the peace and strength to last me 'til naptime...and then to dinner...and then baths and bed?  I will trust him one moment at a time.

His grace is sufficient for this minute, this hour, today and tomorrow.





: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :




4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful post. Really good for me, especially so at the beginning of the autumn holiday. (Here the kids this holiday week.) I looked over my planning for this day ... and I felt a bit agitated: I can do it all? Should I fail in this or that ...
    So I think your blog has helped me. And what a beautiful story of that trip to Amsterdam, told by Corrie ten Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I struggled with this summer when we learned we were expecting our forth. And someone said something very similar, quoting a story from Piper... "no, you can't do the next few months (years etc), but can you get through the next eight hours?"

    Such an encouragement!!!

    Hey... is that Devil's Den in Gettysburg? I know you were just here. My husband noticed it first (I was just looking at the picture). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of my favorite verses. Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you!! And that verse has sustained me (and been mentioned WAY often lately!) around here. Today's worries... today. Tomorrow's... tomorrow. So good, such a great reminder. Thank you, ma'am!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...