Friday, October 21, 2011

31 Days {Day 21}: Fitting in Quiet Time


When I was growing up, my mom would read her Bible in the morning before my brother and I got up for the day.  We didn't often see her do it because she rose before us, but when we stumbled down the stairs in the morning with bleary eyes, her well-worn grey Bible usually sat beside her on the couch. 

We've all heard it said our day should begin with the Lord, but what can be done when rising out of bed early signals the rest of the house to do the same? 

My children are early birds and the sound of me stirring around the house, no matter how quietly, is an open invitation for them to join me.  I learned early on that it was counter-productive for me to attempt a quiet time in the morning.  It seemed that before I even settled my buns on the couch with my Bible that toddling feet and busy mouths joined my party.  It was frustrating to wake early while getting nothing accomplished, especially since the early rising left everyone-- including me--sleep deprived and grumpy.

Soon I began to understand that studying His Word in the morning was not a  God-imposed requirement.  It was a burden I was placing on myself.  The Bible is real and true and life-giving whether I read in the morning, during nap-time, late at night, while changing a diaper, or hiding out in my closet. 

He is a God of compassion. He is a God of patience and understanding. He knows my needs and, day and night, He meets me where I am. 

He'll meet you, too.





: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :





3 comments:

  1. I hide in my closet too! It's my only "me space". I love this idea-no matter where or when-anytime is a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must step in and say here, that there certainly were days--of infants, sick kids, early risers--that I did not get to read my Bible first thing in the morning. You just don't remember those days, I suppose because you were an infant or sick or too young?

    I am happy that that is your memory though!

    Love, Mom...who basks in His grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have found that trying to get up before my brood and have meaningful quiet time only leads to frustration and a bad start to the day. Rest time is usually my best bet now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...