Wednesday, October 3, 2012

31 Days, 31 Smiles {Day 3}: Shapes For Lunch


I get into a rut when fixing lunches.  Lunch is such a boring meal.  My kids, however, are easy to impress.  

I make lunch more fun by making it visual.   

No, I don't mean I create one of those intricate food designs you see on Pinterest where someone has made an beautiful flower with flower petals cut from a sandwich, cucumbers cut into leaves, and thin strips of celery for the stem.  That would make me lose my cool times five!  

No...my go-to, don't-have-to-think-about-it method is to serve a shapes lunch


Cheese can be cut into diamonds, triangles, or squares...
Grapes, tomatoes, carrots, bananas, cucumbers, or blueberries make easy circles...
Sandwiches make squares, rectangles, or  triangles...
Apple or orange slices are half-moons





Another far-too-easy way to make lunch more fun is to cut out a sandwich with a cookie cutter.  A peanut butter and jelly butterfly or a ham and cheese train is always better than a plain sandwich.


a Bob and Larry sandwich


Sometimes the kids get in on the action, too!

a house made of cheese





10 comments:

  1. Some clever ideas! We love changing locations with eating too. A big one for the clean freak in me but outside is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, when I was in first grade, my Mom used to send my sandwiches cut in triangles, and she got a call from the teacher about how cute my lunch looked! :-)

    Sandwich shapes are fun!

    Kim :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute food is always more fun to eat than ordinary food!

    Love the picture of Owen with his cheese house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaron always loves food that is made into shapes! I agree lots more fun to eat! I like the picture of Owen with the cheese house too. Cute!:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry I meant to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I was just thinking about how I should get the cookie cutters out again. Now if only we had bread in the house. Or even the wheat to make it. We just ran out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Owen looks like he's really happy with his cheese house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so smart! A shape lunch - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing how boring our lunch seems for me, but our kids actually prefer knowing exactly what they're going to have each day. I love the cheese house :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bob and Larry! haha - love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...