Thursday, October 4, 2012

31 Days, 31 Smiles {Day 4}: How Do You...Set Aside Time For Fun?

     


How do you find time for fun?

I'm the first to admit that by the time I get up, do my morning chores, teach school, put the little ones down for a nap, fold the laundry, cook dinner, feed the animals, give baths, and put everyone to bed for the night, I haven't allowed much time for fun.  Even if there is time, I don't always have the energy or the want-to.  And that's just on the days we're home.  On the days we need to grocery shop, pick up books from the library, or go to gym class, there is even less time for fun. 

That's why during the last school year, I began making fun more intentional.  Instead of waiting for it to happen, I planned for it.  At the beginning of the week, I chose one day (not always the same day every week) and planned for a very simple activity.  One week we made pinwheels out of construction paper.  Another week, we squirted colored vinegar into a shallow pan of baking soda.

We originally called it Preschool Hour because it was a time during the day to put aside academics and focus on my younger children.  However, the older kids were so fascinated by the simple craft projects and activities we did that we've morphed Preschool Hour into a time for all of us to enjoy some fun together. 

I hope that by pushing myself to make time for fun...by getting outside of my self and doing what might not come naturally...I'll be making memories my children will carry with them into adulthood. 

How do you keep make time for fun?  Let us know in the comments. 

Also, if you have a question for a future "How Do You...?" post, share that in the comments, too, or send me an e-mail! I'd love to hear from you. 






3 comments:

  1. I agree that you have to plan for fun. I know that sounds a bit odd, but when you're busy just doing the basics it's necessary.

    A couple of evenings a week when Tim is home, we also sit down to play a game or go for a nature walk together and I leave the kitchen cleaning up for when the kids are in bed. This was Tim's idea and while I don't think I could do this every night, it does make it nice to be "forced" to have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on this! I feel like there is always so much to do - just everyday life stuff - that "fun" gets moved to the back burner. But if I schedule it...that's a good idea!

    I will say we have been doing some more "fun" things now with school, because I am making them apart of our school day. The kids love that and so do I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really speaking to me. I am a task oriented person so by nature "fun" is not something I remember to think about. I know I didn't do enough simple fun things with Britni when she was little and I am realizing I need to change that with Abi. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...